Sunday, August 11, 2013

Daily Reminder (for Readers and Writers, or Maybe Just for Myself)

I have a bad habit of settling down with a book, or whatever I'm writing/working on, or just zipping around on the internet, and letting long periods of time go by. That's not healthy. I need to get up and move, I need to meet my writing goals, I need to remember that there's more to life than reading, writing and cruising the internet. Being a list maker, I like to set myself daily reminders of a minimal amount I need to accomplish each day. I can do more, but I try not to do less (hence, I tend to set the bar low and then try to surpass it). One of today's reminders is:


Another is:  Go Outside just for the fresh air and sunshine.

I don't set writing goals on the weekend. It's a promise I made to myself years ago when my children were young. Weekends are mostly for family and fun. That doesn't work for everyone, but it works for me.

2 comments:

Laney4 said...

I have a post-it note on my wall noting info from David Allen's book GETTING THINGS DONE:
What's the next action?
Set deadlines.
Set smart dates (leading up to the deadline).
Do one 15-minute item each day.
Do I follow this? Sometimes.
I also set my egg timer for 30 minutes so I will force myself to work, scrapbook, watch my shows, mend, etc for a minimum or maximum of that 30 minutes. That works much better, as I too could blog/email/watch videos on the Internet for more than my allotted time.
Good luck with that, Myrna!

Myrna Mackenzie said...

I like that "Do one 15-minute item each day" post-it. It sounds...doable, which is important. I'm not very good with the egg timer thing. I tend to just ignore it when I'm in the heat of writing. But a to-do list helps me as long as I keep it short. I'm easily pleased by the prospect of crossing something off my list.