Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Movies I've Watched Recently

 Besides reading (and reading and reading), we tend to watch a lot of movies. I confess that I only occasionally stream movies. For the most part, we watch Blu-rays or DVDs which we either get from the library or buy at library book sales or estate sales. 

When you watch that many movies, there are bound to be ones that don't appeal (at least to me. I'm sure the ones I don't care for may be someone else's favorites). But there are always some surprises, movies you thought might be just okay, but strike a chord. Two of the ones we watched recently fall into that category: The Holdovers, starring Paul Giamatti and American Fiction, starring Jeffrey Wright.



 


What makes a movie (or a book) work for me always comes down to character. If a movie is all action with little character development, I'm not interested. But both of these movies had wonderful actors and great character development. The fact that Paul Giamatti plays a teacher and Jeffrey Wright plays a writer might have played into my own personal preferences a bit, but even if I hadn't been a teacher and a writer, I could have related to these characters. These will both go into my "to watch again someday" stack.

Have a great day!

Myrna




No comments: